Tuesday, March 9, 2010

"One Thing?"

I couldn't let another week go by without seeing a change in the opening post. Great Writers Group meeting today (pun intended). Met two new people, debated some topics, and, the icing on the cake was being introduced to a new author by Chris. This lady, B. M. (unfortunate initials) Bower, AKA B. M. Sinclair, was not a great writer, but she wrote so many books that I can admire her for that alone. The book Chris had in hand, called "The Lookout Man," was all about experiences on Mt. Hough and vicinity, and, in our library, it's under lock and key due to its age and fragile condition. I will do as Chris did and go to Book Finder. Meanwhile, I checked out a couple of her other books. The one called "Cabin Fever" has one of the best opening lines I've ever read. Not exciting or titillating, but playing directly to one of my biases, that is, an analysis of boredom. "There is a certain malady of the mind induced by too much of one thing." With a title like "Cabin Fever" you can tell where she's going with this. The first few pages were entertaining enough that I'll probably try to finish it. It might turn out to be a letdown, but the opening line will stay with me for a long time - in fact, I just made a blog entry at blackoaknaturalist about it. Why didn't Thoreau get cabin fever? Or did he? Could the Dalai Lama ever get it? Could too many video games cause it? Spending too much time trying to learn the multiplication tables? Attending school? Anyway, as I said in my blog, I've hiked the same trail hundreds of times, but it was actually never the same trail twice.
Thanks, Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment

cheryljohnson111@gmail.com, lancefb@gmail.com, marylouiseruth@hotmail.com, mikereagan@ni7t.com, mtgarcia1250@sbcglobal.net, blackoaknaturalist@att.net

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.