Thursday, March 18, 2010

I am a liar.

Actually,  I'm confused about this.  Isn't there a problem here?  I mean, if this statement is true and I am indeed a liar, then would I not be telling the truth?  And if I'm telling the truth, then that statement must be false. So, if the statement is false, then I am not a liar.  If I'm not a liar, I'm contradicting myself, eh?

I don't know why I'm concerned about this.  I should just go finish my laundry and let it go, but the notion that this statement can be shown to be true if it is false and false if it is true has made me wonder if falsity and truth-ity are just concepts that don't really exist.  That is, maybe it is both true and false at the same time.  If that's the case, then maybe there isn't a false camp separate from a true camp.

We're all just camping together and don't know it.  ?

OK.  Enough.  Laundry time.



P.S. It turns out that the Greek philosopher Eubulides first wrestled with this in the fourth century BC.

3 comments:

  1. Life is full of contradictions. Forget truth. Go for the qualitative leaps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Language allows for paradoxes, but doesn't necessarily represent reality. At least in English. I wonder if all languages are capable of paradoxes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it would be greater if the laundry did not exist.I consider myself a bad liar. Does that make me a good truth teller?!

    ReplyDelete

cheryljohnson111@gmail.com, lancefb@gmail.com, marylouiseruth@hotmail.com, mikereagan@ni7t.com, mtgarcia1250@sbcglobal.net, blackoaknaturalist@att.net

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.